The Year That Was

Yes, the last post of 2011 though Pondicherry, Bergen, Rome, Brussels and a lot about Oslo are still in draft stage (but for Rome only 2 days are left, I can wrap that up in one sitting), but I think I have made a fair justice to this year’s resolution (Ref http://doesnotxsist.blogspot.com/2010/12/year-that-was.html). Twenty Two blogs this year, including this one, which is roughly two blogs every month, is fairly good and the resolution remains same, I will try to better next year, and to add on that I will travel to more places next year (yes, I can say that confidently now).
This year it as 55-45. I stayed outside India for five months, and of course, I am looking forward to spend more time here. Without further ado, let me start with the events chronologically.
  • January 2011: Started the year with a awesome trip to Alleppey, stayed in a house-boat, and enjoyed the largest lobsters available. It is rightly said that the morning shows the day, and man, I did travel a lot this year. The next important thing that happened in January was a close-friend Niranjan’s marriage, it was fun as most of the other close-friends could make for the occasion. And anyway, going home for a holiday is always fun. Though I suffered from terrible cough for the whole period, I did not miss the Kolkata Book Fair (the next best festival in Kolkata after Durga Puja), and visited the new location for the first time.
  • February 2011: Was in for a surprise as another close friend Anirban announced his marriage plans which was supposed to be next month. Other than that fairly calm months, and of course with a lovely pre-Valentine’s and Valentine’s Day. Plus I attended another wedding totally unplanned, and it was really fun.
  • March 2011: Anirban’s marriage, you all have read about it, so I am not going to describe it. It was fun and tiring at the same time. It was my fourth wedding in three months, seriously doom’s day is approaching! And I think I came to know about the Whitefield area very well in this one month (there were other reasons too).
  • April 2011: Start of frustration. I was supposed to travel to where I am right now this month, but visa issues delayed it for unknown number of months. To top it off, we (me and Achintya) shifted to a small house (since I was supposed to go), and we were stuck in the house for many months. But when it ended, I realized it was not as bad after all. The only good thing about this month was the Easter weekend trip to Coonoor and of course India winning the World Cup.
  • May 2011: Heights of frustration. I got the visa finally, but no travel dates and on top of it people in my office (who don’t have any business with me) kept on asking me when I am traveling. On personal front, things were as usual, breaking and mending as always is the case with me.
  • June 2011: I think I was trying to lower my frustration by traveling here and there. For three weekends I was away. Horsley Hills, then Pandavpura and then Pondicherry. All of the trips were awesome. Pandavpura was tiring but thanks to Praveen, we had a good time. And Pondicherry was just amazing, the thirst for sea (which started on 1st January 2011) was finally quenched here. I am definitely going to come back to Pondy ( and finish that blog).
  • July 2011: Finally some good news, and it was more or less confirmed  about my travel. And soon I was at home, I had to meet my parents before leaving. And the end of the month was horrible, with my flight tickets being cancelled without my knowledge, messing up with a friend, and then traveling for 24 hours to reach Oslo.
  • August 2011: Settling in Oslo. New place, new environment, less baggage and more time to myself. Missed Bangalore, my friends and one special person for some days, but after some time, everything was back to normal.
  • September 2011: Bergen. Yes, completed the spectacular train journey and it is worth every penny.
  • October 2011: The crazy trip, Paris and Rome in one week (and initial plan included Venice too). The best time and highlight of the year. It is a unique experience altogether, to be in the pages of history and actually seeing and feeling them with your own eyes.
  • November 2011: Not a great birthday I had, my best buddy forgot to wish me! Geared up for the cold, attended Diwali Party and Christmas Party in the same month (Weird? Yes).
  • December 2011: First snow of the season. Brussels, chocolate, waffles and more snow. Though a very warm December from Norwegian perspective. And I became a huge spender once again, bought PS3 with Move as a Christmas gift for myself.

And hence ended another year of my life. It was pretty happening one. Traveled at least 10000 KMs (by flight of course) and the most North I can be in this World. What remains is the wish to see and photograph the Northern lights, wild polar bears and whales. Hopefully I will have those fulfilled the next year (if the World doesn’t end before that).
So, now when I look back at it, it was not a bad year after all. More footprints given on the face of this Earth, more photographs taken in the memory cards, more experience gained, more growth as a person (yes, we do grow up every day). Made some new friends, lost some (they are perfectly alive!). Made some money, lost more! Made some good food, ate more better food. Wrote a lot of blogs and status updates, read a little less. Slept a lot, kept awake more. Fought a lot with people, loved more.
And here’s wishing you all a Super New Year or Godt Nyttår!

Comments

Popular Posts