The Three Decades

Yes, it's official now, I have joined the 30's Club. And, to tell you the truth, it feels great! Well, for some of my friends "30 is the new 40", but for me it is "life begins at 30". So, let me recollect my past three decades in this blog post.

1980s: Truly speaking I do not remember much. But yes, one thing I vividly remember is riding a First class coach while we were transferring base from Konnagar (my birthplace) to Rupnaryanpur (my father's workplace). I remember those closed coups and also remember it was a winter evening and that we were having oranges on the train. Maybe that was a very special moment and so I remember it nicely.
After shifting base, it was time for me to go to school, and since my parents used to tell this story to everyone when I was a kid, I know that I cried a lot on my first day to school. It was like howling as my parents used to describe it. I also remember the school premises, it was a nice group of buildings, actually employee quarters which had been converted into a school. The area was covered in trees and hence break time used to fun.

1990s: This decade was marked with two tours which are still etched in my mind. One was to Darjeeling and another was to Kedarnath, Badrinath and Gangotri. Darjeeling happened in the early 90s and hence I remember little, mostly from the photographs. But Kedarnath memory is still fresh in my mind, since it was really an amazing journey. Besides that this was the usual school days, the teachers, the friends, the not-so-friends. Thankfully, I was never bullied in school. Well, being a good student has its perks. It was a good childhood now that I look back. The usual fights with sister, the usual sleeping just before dinner, the usual sadness before exam, the usual happiness after exam, the usual lunch sharing with friends, the usual studies, the usual long summer breaks, the usual visiting relatives, the usual teenage love, the usual small heart breaks. By the end of this decade I was transforming, I knew I thought in a different way than the rest of my friends or class-mates. Finally, school time was over.

2000s: The most important decade. College. Though I did not have a great college, but the company in college made up for it. We were a group of not-so-much-geeks. Then the love which started unknowingly and continued for the whole decade, getting stronger and stronger and finally leaving me devastated. Then it was time for the first job, the first travelling alone, the first flight, the first international flight, Switzerland, Scotch, Champagne. Then there were people, lots of people, colleagues who became friends, friends who became strangers, colleagues who pretended to be friends, friends who pretended to be friends, strangers who became friends, strangers who became friends for a night, strangers who became friends for a few months, strangers who remained strangers. And the most important of it, I grew up.

So now, after thirty long years, how do I feel? Yes, I feel awesome, I feel wise, I feel loved, I feel wanted, I feel beautiful. I can influence people, I can make decisions, I can take up a social cause, I can be myself. Yes, I have broken a few hearts, got my heart broken too many times. Yes, I have loved and lost and yet loved again. Yes, I have trusted people who broke my trust, and I have trusted people whom I will always trust. Yes, I have seen people change, for the better, for the worse. Yes, I have seen myself change, for the better for the worse. Yet, there is so much I have done in these years, that I feel content. I have lived the pages of history, I have touched famous works of Art, I have seen Northern Lights dance, I have experienced the love they talk about in books; I have lived my life. But of course, it does not end here, it gets better from here.

Comments

Popular Posts