The official process of becoming a Bengalurian

I did it, got my house registered (I think so), and I am finally a Bengalurian. It is not too hard actually. What makes it hard is the fear that we mango people have of interacting with Government officials. And the fear is that they will ask for bribe, and we, even though knowing that it is wrong, will end up paying it. I remember the first time I faced such a situation was when I was in college. I applied for passport and the local police had to verify my identity. They called me at the police station, and after normal chit-chat, they asked me to go outside so that the inspector (or sub) can talk to my father alone. I knew what the talk will be about, and smiled to myself that at least he is a little ashamed to take the money in front of a kid (I was kid then!).
The day started early, I had taken my bath, dressed well (as usual), and reached the Office of the Sub-Registrar in Begur by 10:30 am. This day was pending since long, more for Achintya, as he has moved in his apartment before January. I did it by the end of January. Still this was an important part which was pending. I was completely ready with the required things, but I really did not know what exactly was required. I had two DDs, one is 5.6% of the total value as registration charges, and another is 1% of the total value for Stamp duty in the name of the Sub-registrar, Jayanagar. Other than that I knew that I will need, the sale deed, the property tax paid details, and the plan of the apartment, which I thought our Builder's representative will bring.
But when finally he arrived at 11:30 am, he said he did not have anything. And then the drama started. Actually, the office there wanted me to bribe, and that is why they were saying all those documents are required. Ideally, all those documents were submitted as this was not the first time an apartment was being registered from the same complex. The Builder's representative then talked and finalized things. It was nice to know that they were not shameless. As soon as Achintya said "We can pay now", all the process started soon.
A guy came and our absolute sale deeds were sent for registration. The application they were using is called Kavery, and it was developed by CDAC. The guy handling the application had an awesome speed. He filled the address details, witness details and photos in 5 minutes. Then he took my photo and left thumb impression. The same was done for the builder's representative. I saw my details going to the "central server" and I got the details printed on the sale deed.
The next step was to sign the pages myself. And then it was time to give the bribe. We were giving 7k but another person asked more (inflation you see), but we still managed to get through by paying 1500 extra. Then it was time to get it signed by the officer. And then the seals, and we received our registration details (actually, I did not know it was done, I thought we will get some certificate, until a friend clarified it for me). And then scan a copy and the scanned copy was also uploaded via Kavery system.
Finally, we took photo-copies of all, and the original was taken by builder's representative to be submitted to the bank. And it was done!
Not actually, still have to do khata transfer, and then transfer of the electric meter to my name. Until next time, I am off the Government guys, oh wait, I have to get my driver's licence. Well, they are the Government guys, you can hate them, but you can't ignore them.
Stay tuned for apartment woes...

Comments

Popular Posts