Chaler Payesh (Bengali Rice Pudding)

Payesh (kheer in Hindi) is one of the favourite desserts in a bengali household. I really like payesh, though when I was a kid, I really hated it mainly because milk was a major ingredient. But now, I really love it, specially when made from nolen gur. Again I prepared this kheer for Prankur, my roomie, who was leaving to India today. He really loves it.

Ingredients:
  • 1 litre whole milk

  • 200 gms aromatic rice

  • 1 tablespoon ghee

  • 200 gms sugar / jaggery/ notun gur

  • 2 or 3 bay leaves

  • 4 cardamoms

  • some raisins and cashew nuts for garnishing

Procedure:
  • Wash the rice and drain. I used kalijeera rice which has a nice flavour and is not long-grained like basmati. In India, I would have used Gobindabhog. I don't like basmati in kheer, but it can be used if you do not have any choice.

  • Put a thick bottomed pan on heat and pour the milk in it. Add some water too.

  • Add the bay leaves in the milk and let it boil. Keep a watch as milk generally spills when you are not looking.

  • When the milk has boiled for sometime, mix the ghee with the rice and then put in the boiling milk.

  • Let the rice cook.

  • When the rice has cooked, add the sugar/ jaggery. Stir to distribute the sweetness evenly. Sweetener can also be used to reduce calorie intake. Sweetness can be increased or decreased according to taste. I like it moderately sweet.

  • Take the pan off heat when the preparation is still milky, I mean a bit liquid. It will turn hard on cooling.

  • Grind the cardamoms and mix with with the kheer.

  • Garnish with raisins and cashew nuts.

You can add few drops of rose water and keora water to add extra flavour.

Comments

Popular Posts