GOD Re-visited

Yes, I believe in God. Not because I am weak, but because I feel stronger. It always helps when you think there is someone more powerful, watching over you always. I feel God does not stay in temples or churches, God is a belief. A belief that there is an Almighty, who is there with you when you are alone. But yes, I do go to temples (and mosques, gurudwaras and churches too!); but it is not because I can see God there, I go there for some prayers and some devotion. I fast on occasions of some Pujas, that gives me a good feeling. A feeling that I don't remember Him only when I am in trouble (like before the exam results :D), but that I remember Him even during my happy times.

Talking about belief in Gods in different cultures, we find the presence of the Sun God in every culture, be it Egyptian, Roman, Indian, Greek. This may be attributed to the fact that in earlier days, nights used to be full of troubles. Picture this: In early ages, humans used to stay in caves and all. They used to hunt in daytime. As soon as night came up, the stayed in the caves, at night outside world (or jungle) was dangerous. With all kinds of predators on prowl. One of them (tiger or lion or any other carnivore) attacked a human settlement. They have nowhere to go and no where to hide, they prayed, they prayed with raised hands and then the east sky became red and a red sun came to their rescue. It would not be wrong to consider the sun as the Almighty at that time. (With science, now we know that anyway Sun is the ultimate source of energy for earth. If there was no sun, life would not be there on earth.)

The same analogy can be given for fire. Most of the wild animals fear fire, fire gave man a sense of security. And hence fire protected humans like God, through all these years. Similarly all the elements of nature came to be believed as one God or another. Over the years, these Gods have taken form of humans. And whatever we like the most, we want our God to be like that. Most handsome, most beautiful. As for me, it is the belief that matters, not the form.

P.S. Posted form internal blogs of my company.

Comments

Raja said…
Suppose an artist who is out of idea wants to get back on track. He devotes a couple of weeks to god ... but no fruitful idea comes out. Next two weeks he browses thought the drawings by Da Vinci. And by the process he gets loads of ideas. So to him god is "dead" Da Vinci.

True, it's personal beliefs, but believing on self and other "material" successful peoples probably works better.
Achintya said…
But still 'O Einstein ,,, plz help me in my science exams ...' :) does nt sound gr8 .. better b God a belief ... to blame in misfortune n praise when things go ur way
Raja said…
That actually sounds great. Like if you screw up something, you can say "It was not me, it was GOD"

Popular Posts